Search This Blog

Monday 21 July 2008

Bring on Brian

It's hard to believe, I know, but the Monty Python film The Life of Brian is still banned in the mid-Wales town of Aberystwyth. But now the new mayor – who played the part of Brian's girlfriend Judith Iscariot in the movie – wants the ban lifted.

According to the BBC news website, a number of areas in Wales banned the film 30 years ago, because they thought it was blasphemous.

"Given what's on TV now I think it's amazing a ban in Aberystwyth still exists," Sue Jones-Davies (pictured in the role) tells the BBC. "I think it should be lifted.

"I would like to think that any religion would have the generosity to see the film for what it is," she adds, "which is a comedy. I was surprised at the outrage it caused at the time, but I did not expect or appreciate the impact and never thought it would turn out to be so popular."

No comments: