Search This Blog

Wednesday 29 September 2010

We probably know more about religion than the religionists do

Atheists and agnostics know more about the major religions than Catholics and Protestants.

Well, it’s not surprising when you think that so many people call themselves this or that when it’s just a habit. Their parents were Catholic, say, so they identify as Catholic. Even many of those who go to church probably don’t know much about what’s happening – just lots of bells and smells and men in fine and fancy frocks and magnificent music and rousing ritual and seductive ceremony.

I remember my brother – a professing Christian – saying to me one day that I probably knew more about his religion than he did. When he said to me, “I’m a Christian,” I wish I’d asked him, “How do you know?”

Ah, l’esprit de l’escalier, eh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Of course we do. I was brought up Catholic though by about the age of 8 I knew something was very wrong.

Took me a few years to really voice it. At age 15 I was to make my confirmation. I was dead set against it. Even told the priest running the program that I didn't believe any of it, that I didn't have faith in something that couldn't be proven.

They confirmed me anyway.

Been out as an atheist ever since. Oh I've looked at Islam, Judaism, and even Wiccan, but none of them hold any allure to me.