Search This Blog

Tuesday 20 October 2009

Complaints rise after journo’s Gately slur

The complaints are at 21,000 and counting, it seems, after that obnoxious Daily Mail journo Jan Moir (pictured) wrote about the death of the gay Boyzone star Stephen Gately.

Now don’t get me wrong: I’m not one of those never-speak-ill-of-the-dead people who believe that no criticism should be laid against those who have recently snuffed it. If they deserve it, they deserve it.

I remember causing some hilarity in an Internet radio rant I did a couple of years or whatever ago when the right-wing, religion-soaked homophobe Jerry Falwell shuffled off this mortal coil. “My mum used to tell me you should only speak good of the dead,” I said. “Well Falwell’s dead. Good!” (All that’s just to prove my creds, OK?).

But this Moir woman just seems to want to find dirt either where there isn’t any, or where it’s just not relevant, and not in the public interest. It’s not as though Gately went about boasting of impeccable behaviour and then committed an immoral act, thereby showing blatant hypocrisy.

So what is she playing at?

Anyway, the story is in the Pink News link we’ve provided up top. If you feel moved to complain, complain.

No comments: