Search This Blog

Saturday 26 December 2009

Is it Christmas, Yule, the festive season or just the holidays?

Was Christmas Day good for you? Do you, indeed, call this time of the year “Christmas”, or do you prefer a name that doesn’t connote religion?

American Zack Ford loves Christmas.

“I can’t help the fact that I was raised by a Christian family in a Christian home,” he writes. “What I can help is what I believe (or in my case, what I don’t). And, even though I don’t care at all about virgin births or any other such nonsense, there is a lot of cultur around the holiday season that I can and do appreciate. In fact, I love Xmastime.”

So, although he’s a fervent atheist, he loves all the stuff that surrounds Christmas.

You can read his article here. And you can also read my own article, “Yule be sorry”, from last Christmas, in which I make some similar points, concluding that we should keep the “Christ” in “Christmas” – but only as a syllable.



Click the logo above to get to the magazine’s cover, which has a great image that sums up the “God-damned” theme of this issue.

Hope you’re having a great Christmas (or Yule or holiday time or festive season), everyone, and accept our best wishes for a very Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm an atheist and I still enjoy the season. It's a chance to re-connect with people which is always nice.

Plus I love the lights. Seriously, the whole spectrum of color on a dark ass winter night is great.

But then I love color in general. When computers moved from monochrome displays to color I was ecstatic!