Search This Blog

Monday 22 June 2009

Imagine no religion? Easy! Part II

Got an interesting response the other day on another blog I write for, Infidel Bloggers Alliance, when I posted the piece I had already written on here about the MP who thinks we can’t manage without religion.

Infidel Bloggers Alliance is not a nonreligious blog (although I suspect there are few contributors who are not members of the Deluded Herd). That’s why a commenter calling himself Revereridesagain thought I might come in for some flak. So far, I haven’t.

Anyway, I’ve taken the liberty of reproducing his supportive response here:

Andy, I know you’re going to catch hell for this so I’m just checking in to bolster the buffer zone.

MP Goodman has no idea what life under religion is going to be once the Muslims have become 25% of the population in Great Britain, but if there is any justice in the world he will live long enough to find out.

Living as an atheist in a religious world can be depressing at times knowing most people can’t understand how we get along without it. (Nicely. Thanks for asking.) But living in a world where religion dictated what I would wear, what I could eat, with whom I would associate, whom I could marry, what I could and could not say, what work I could do (if any), and in which I was explicitly considered to be worth a fraction of the value of a man and which threatened my life if I broke any of its rules would be unbearable.

Sadly, there are a lot of people in this country now who may understand that in theory but think it can never happen in Great Britain, let alone here. For them, the millions risking their lives to demonstrate against theocratic oppression in Iran are just a worrisome inconvenience because they might interfere with The Obammasiah One’s plans to make the world one big happy marxoliberislamationist family.

I know it’s hard for some to understand why, but the atheists here will never back down from this fight against Islam. But we know that our rights derive from our very nature and that no one has the right to violate them in the name of their god or their tribe or their sociological theories or anything else.

Looking on the bright side, at least Goodman won’t be an MP after the next election. He will probably be replaced by some guy named Ahmed.

Couldn’t have put it better myself, mate. Well said!

3 comments:

Pastorius said...

Hi Andy,
Speaking as the founder and administrator of IBA, while we are not a non-religious blog, we are also not a religious blog.

We are a blog of Infidels. An Infidel is anyone who would be hated by the Islamofascists. Therefore, we are made up of Atheists, Christians, Jews, Homosexuals, Buddhists, Hindus, whatever. Just people living with their Freedom of Speech and Conscience.

Really, that's the main thing we stand for.

RRA, in my opinion, overstates when she says she catches flak at IBA. I honestly don't care that she is an atheist. She seems to believe that when any other IBA blogger posts anything that references their religious beliefs it is somehow an attack on her lack of religious belief.

That just isn't true.

Andy Armitage said...

Hi, Pasto. My point was that it's not nonreligious by declaration, any more than it is religious by declaration. It has, as you say, a fair old mixture, and a good blog it is, too.

Pastorius said...

Thanks. We love having you as a contributor.

:)